This is my second pair of the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers in BRIGHT pink! This time I pre-washed the fabric- stretch twill again but this time with slightly less elastane content from Brunswick Mill. I added 8cm to the length to allow for a really deep turn up and I love how this helps the trousers hang.
I wore these for a day but found that the stretch in the fabric loosened out with wear and by the evening they looked a bit like jogging bottoms (So said my lovely friend Emma)! So I unpicked the inside leg and took this in about 3cm. They now fit really well and I've learnt a big lesson when using cotton with stretch, to fit the garment very close to the body and allow for some stretching with wear.
I want to make some trousers in denim next but I might try a new pattern to compare the fit.
I love retro kitsch imagery so when I saw this fab 50s printed cotton in The Fabric Guild I had to have it! At the time I had no idea what to make with it but when I saw this pattern I knew it was a winning combination! I added pale pink flat piping to the back yoke and pocket and the under collar which I love!
I had to do very little with the fit of this as it is meant to be a looser fitting garment. I’m so happy with this and I’m going to use this pattern to make a sleeveless version in sheer fabric next like the favourite non-handmade tops I mentioned in last month's blog. I’ll maybe add on just a bit of length to make this more of a tunic look.
My biggest make of the month has been this gorgeous (even if I do say so myself!) 40s style dress from New Look Pattern 6183. I LOVE this pattern! Although as per usual the body measurements gave no sensible indication of which size I should pick!
As you can see I landed all over the place! I checked the finished measurements of the hips which are shown on the pattern paper I measured the finished measurement on me to check there would be plenty of room and ease
Considering I wanted a fitted but not tight fit, the 10 cm of ease allowed would be too much. I opted to cut a size 12 bust and tapered this out to a size 14 hips to allow 5cm ease at the hips instead- I ignored the waist measurement on the body measurements chart but double checked the actual measurement of the pattern pieces at the waist to check this instead- the measurement of the waist on the size 12-14 gave me enough room with about 6 cm ease from the body- this is comfortable but flattering.
After I constructed the dress at the side seams I popped it on to check the fit- it was a little roomy around the bust.
So I took in approx. 1.5cm at the side seam under the arm tapering out to nothing at the waist.
I decided it needed some buttons. I played around with a few options and asked my Facebook page followers which they liked best
Option 1- black faceted shank buttons
Option 2 - black textured rose buttons
Option 3 - tiny pearlised red buttons
Option 4 - fun plastic heart buttons
They picked option 3 - the tiny red pearlised buttons, which are really cute and simple.
I do love the heart buttons though so I think I might use them on a swimsuit!
And this is the finished fitted dress. This fits like a dream.
My mind is whirring now about how I can use this fitted bust silhouette in different fabrics and even as different garments- a jersey top… or maybe even a swimsuit or bikini!
But for now I bought this fabric to make another dress – I can't wait for it to arrive!
I also whipped myself up a simple tee using my overlocker in a my own mini Sewing Bee style timed challenge! I managed this in 1 hour including cutting out!
I’m pretty chuffed with this although the neckline has stretched a little as the fabric is so stretchy- it’s a viscose-poly-elastane mix diagonal print stripe jersey which I've had for ages.
I have loads left so I’m thinking it might make a nice sheered maxi sundress- in my mind at least- Summer is coming! Time to stitch a whole new season’s wardrobe! Overlocker at the ready!
So that's all from me for now, but keep following my handmade wardrobe makes on my Facebook page