I fixed the button holes on my handmade lace button back top- I’d used pearl buttons which stretched the buttonholes after quite a bit of wear but with a few stitches these were pulled back into shape.
Next time a make a similar top I will use an interlining in the button placket to reinforce the button holes – after watching this week’s GBSB which was focusing on sheer fabrics, I read up a bit on reinforcing these delicate fabrics and it looks like silk organza is a good option for this. I plan work with sheer fabric to make a longline sleeveless shirt as part of my handmade wardrobe so I’m sure I’ll experiment with this some more!
This is one of my favourite tops and is also made in sheer fabric.
This delicate fabric had come away from the button placket (not reinforced!) so I unpicked the button placket a little trimmed away the frayed chiffon of the front panel of the shirt and used some fray stop to fix the fabric and stop any more fraying. I reinserted the front panel into the button placket and hand stitched to close.
I’m so glad I’ll be able to wear this top again. I really like this style and I will definitely make a version as part of my challenge : )
Towards the end of January and through February I have been a lot more productive.
I really enjoyed my trouser making workshop at Sew Over It.
I did make a bit of a mistake in not pre-washing my fabric though! I now have a lovely pair of cropped trousers for the summer after washing them! Oops!
So before I started on my next project, I prewashed the remaining fabric- a printed stretch twill from Textile Express
I made a pencil skirt from a pattern I’d used previously
The skirt has a mock button placket at the centre front. I decided to do a mock placket with a concealed zip fastening at the back as I find with a real placket in stretch fabric this can gape.
To create the placket I placed the pattern piece away from the folded edge of the fabric, cut out with the extra and stitched down the line where the CF was on the pattern piece. I then pressed this panel flat and stitched down each side. I added metal shank buttons for a casual look with a hint of military.
Surprisingly I made a lot of garments using stretch fabric this month! This is surprising as although I do wear a lot of jersey clothing, I usually use more formal fabrics in my dressmaking- which is possibly why I don’t wear a lot of the garments I’ve made!
I made a pair of leggings- these are just a mock up to check fit. I’m glad I did make a mock up, as you can see they need some adjustment.
I used a pattern from the GBSB second series book. I made these in a 160gsm cotton jersey with approx. 2% elastane. Ideally I would use a 220gsm weight jersey with more like 5-10% elastane/Lycra (any more can make the fabric look very shiny)
So these aren’t as stretchy as I’d like them to be but the fabric was ok for a mock up. I need to add 5 cm to the front rise (crotch seam) and 6cm to the back rise. I also need to add 6cm to the length. The calf is a little tight so I’ll add in a little there too.
And I need to find some good quality cotton elastane jersey- I’m hoping our Sew Sociable speaker for next month Michael Mulligan from Montreux Fabrics will be able to advise me and point me in the right direction for this!
My next make was a shift dress using the free pattern from Love Sewing magazine.
The darts are placed at the waist creating a shapely fitted look and pulling the eye to the waist which is very flattering. I made this out of a heavyweight jersey fabric called Ponte Roma. It is also sometimes called double jersey. This allowed me to get a really nice fitted figure hugging look.
I finally got round to getting my overlocker fixed- it only took 6 years! The knife had gone blunt and needed replacing but now it is as good as new! I reminded myself how much I loved using it by making this quick and easy T-shirt.
I took a t-shirt I already had and copied a pattern from it. It’s a simple boxy shaped tee with grown on sleeves and dipped back hem
I’m really happy with the fit and glad I chose a nice sturdy low stretch jersey – this made is so easy to cut out and sew together.
I finished the hem and cuffs with my twin needle on my sewing machine
I attached the neck band using the overlocker but I wanted to try something I had read about on a blog. By loosening the tension on some of the thread you can achieve a ladder stitch effect.
Most overlockers have 4 threads going through into 2 needles at the top and 2 shuttles at the bottom. I loosened the tension of the securing threads- the 2 threads which run into the top needles- but left the looping threads as normal.
After sewing I pulled the seam apart gently to create this ladder stitch effect.
I also added an applique heart using the sequin fabric from the badly fitting dress I found in my wardrobe clear out.
I attached the heart with bondaweb- being careful not to melt the sequins by using a pressing cloth and gradually building up the heat!
I wasn’t happy with the raw edges showing though so I tried a few options to cover them up including…
A cotton daisy trim - I like the simple hippy-ish look of this but I don't think it covers the raw edges well enough
Gathered lace trim- I like this but the tee has quite a sporty look so it doesn't work so well on this style
A scalloped cotton lace trim - this covers the raw edges well
I decided to go for the cotton lace trim and voila…
Very happy with this and I plan to make lots more : )
So that’s my month of sewing so far…more coming soon!